The issue indicates that SSL-certificate of the backup storage provider or another backup-related network endpoint is being rejected on client's side. Probable causes are as follows:
- operating system
- security software activity
- user account settings.
Once this issue is occured, a set of actions should be performed in order to validate the certificate.
General TLS/SSL description can be found in an appropriate Wikipedia article.
Educational videos on SSL/TLS:
Typical Issues Resolution
- Run the Backup application.
- In the application menu, select Online Backup Account.
- Select Advanced Settings.
- Try to list buckets or storage containers to initiate data retrieval from the cloud storage provider side:
- A prompt to accept the rejected SSL-certificate appears.
- Click Allow.
Usually, steps of Solution 1 are enough, but in case the issue persists, do as follows:
- Navigate to the Settings folder of the Backup application by the path "C:\ProgramData\COMPANYNAME\PRODUCTNAME”, where your company and product names are taken from the Managed Backup portal -> Settings -> General -> Company / Product Name.
- In this folder, delete or rename the following files:
- Follow the Solution 1 steps again.
Sometimes certificate rejection can be caused by specific firewall/security software settings which could require troubleshooting with accordance to the instruction from the security software provider website. As an example, refer to FortiGate firewall settings.
The issue could also be caused by an expiration of a SSL-certificate on client side which could be resolved by certificate renewal or software update (typically, gateway or firewall) that uses it. It could also be caused by certificate expiration on cloud storage provider side in specific cases (usually for small scale S3-compatible or OpenStack-compatible storage providers).